Giving a hedgehog as a holiday gift? You will want to make sure that this is a wonderful experience for both the hedgehog and the person receiving the hedgehog. Here are some tips to make sure that your gift is successful!
1) Make sure the person wants a hedgehog! This might sound like a no brainer, but it does happen. If the person doesn't really, really, really want a hedgehog, it isn't fair to the hedgehog or the person. Buying a hedgehog as an impulse gift is almost always a very bad plan.
2) Make sure the person is prepared for the hedgehog. If you aren't also giving the cage and all of the basic supplies make sure that the person already has the cage set up.
3) Don't pick just any hedgehog. Make sure that the hedgehog you are choosing is healthy and has a personality that will be a good match for the person you are buying it for. If you are uncertain, give a hedgehog collectible to unwrap on the holiday and take the person with you to pick their own favorite hedgehog afterward.
4) Make sure you are set up to take care of the hedgehog if you aren't giving it right away. It is very important for the hedgehog to stay happy and healthy! They need to stay warm, they need a place to hide to sleep, and they need food and water.
5) Make sure that the person you are giving the hedgehog to knows how to take care of it. Not all of the information on the Internet is equally good. We have 20+ years of experience in caring for hedgehogs and our website at hedgehogvalley.com has information that you can trust.
If you follow these guidelines, your gift will be appreciated and both the hedgehog and its new human will be off to a happy start!